Apr

Big Brother: Over the Top Simulator Released

Author Brant    Category All, Updates     Tags

After a month of work, the Big Brother: Over the Top simulator has been officially released. This clears the backlog of 2016 plans and allows complete focus to go into the new 2017 plans that include Survivor, Total Drama, and more.

Thanks to all of the volunteers who helped test this simulator. Special thanks goes to @brandon for providing knowledge on the season and designing a voting chart that was incorporated into it.

This is the first Big Brother season on the .com server and uses a combination of code from the older Big Brother seasons and the newer simulators. It includes a new type of menu system to change settings weekly and make audience decisions. There are a few new week 1 options so that you can avoid using logic, events/status pages, or having to keep clicking buttons if you don’t want to see them.

If you see any issues, it would be appreciated if you could report them. Bugs should be fixed in about 24 hours, and then saving will be added. I’ll be catching up on contact messages from the first half of April and posting a new blog entry on the schedule for the upcoming weeks soon.

To those who celebrate it, enjoy your Easter!

Bugs Fixed:
– Cast members 11 and 12 should now work correctly in all modes of Edit Cast
– In week 6, the Co-HoH winner can no longer be picked to play veto a second time.
– Alliances no longer form with evicted houseguests or the houseguest not voted in.
– Co-HoH and nominees italicized, episode 3 now shows both double veto winners.
– In the double eviction, the prior co-HoH can no longer compete for HoH.

Sunday Night Update: Saving has been added.

60 Comments to “Big Brother: Over the Top Simulator Released”

• Profile photo of Emerson
    Emerson [Member] April 16, 2017 at 1:15 am

Thankssss

• Profile photo of Samuel
    Samuel [Member] April 16, 2017 at 1:30 am

Thank you so much for this!!

• Profile photo of Brandon
    Brandon [Member] April 16, 2017 at 3:35 am

Thank you! It was great testing the season and providing feedback 🙂

• Jess [Guest] April 16, 2017 at 7:46 am

Yay this is all awesome!

One thing I’ve noticed- there seems to be some sort of bug in the edit cast function (Advanced Edit and Basic Edit) when choosing contestants #11 and #12, For example, when casts are toggled it won’t allow you to choose a contestant, and when search is toggled there seems to be some kind of bug.

Otherwise this is all great. Love the voting chart addition, too.

Brant [Admin] April 16, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Thanks, fixed.

• Profile photo of Izumi
    Izumi [Member] April 16, 2017 at 8:28 am

The simulator is great.

On the voting chart however, during the week 3 care package, the care package recipient (in this case, Sierra, as I did a simulation with the top 13 in Game Changers) chose the special type of veto, which was the double veto. Andrea and Debbie both won a veto, but on the voting chart, only Debbie won it.

Brant [Admin] April 16, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Good catch, fixed now.

• Joel [Guest] April 16, 2017 at 10:39 am

Awesome! : D Love the overlook feel of it, the voting chart, everything about it is pretty damn awesome!

The one thing I am curious about is challenge descriptions for the various HoH/PoV Comps and the actual type of challenge itself impacting which statistics in Competition Ability influence the outcome. Is there something already in play within the simulation where it matters which stats are in place during the different competitions? Or is it all using the “General” statistic for competitions in character profiles?

The last thing would be whether descriptions for the competitions will be added in the future. For flavor text & feel, kind of like a majority of the challenges in the Survivor Millennial vs Gen X simulator. Sorry for the curious proddings, I can tell you’ve worked really hard on this and I don’t want to take away from that, just being inquisitive about little things.

But can’t wait to be able to save both in this and in the Mill vs Gen X Simulator, and certainly can’t wait to hear about future plans including Total Drama seasons. Am still silently hoping for an ability to carry over characters from the Island simulator that made it to Action, over to the Action simulator. ^.^ But that’s different inquiries for a different topic altogether. Cheers!

• Joel [Guest] April 16, 2017 at 10:40 am

Also, some bugs I forgot to list up above:

General: There are some instances where alliances are formed with houseguests that have already been evicted, or the returning houseguest that didn’t get in.

Week 6: With Co-HoH in play, during the veto selection, the Co-HoH was selected as one of the veto participants even though he was already going to participate.

Double Eviction: I do not think the HoH can win Care Package as well, can they? If so, I had an instance where the HoH won the No Veto Competition care package.

Brant [Admin] April 16, 2017 at 5:20 pm

Thanks for the reports. I fixed the first two bugs.

For the third, I’m not sure if the HoH should eligible for the Care Package during the Double Eviction. Does anyone have any idea?

Brant [Admin] April 16, 2017 at 5:24 pm

This is a great question.

The General skill is actually being ignored in this simulator. I should put a note about that. The competition outcomes are being decided based on the other three skills. Each competition is given a randomly assigned weight between the Physical, Endurance, and Mental skills, and this weight changes every simulation. I’d like to add descriptions and then go through them and manually assign weights based on the competition type.

I’m not sure how soon this can be done. It would make it easiest if I can find a resource that will allow us to use their descriptions or can find a volunteer who can type descriptions.

• Profile photo of Shane
    Shane [Member] April 16, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Wow, a surprise for Easter indeed! Looking forward to testing this out

• Profile photo of Malik
    Malik [Member] April 16, 2017 at 3:46 pm

This is amazing! I’m enjoying it with people in the community now. But there’s on error I came across so far. Person was evicted week 1, and now after the pov ceremony, they’re being shown as in an alliance in week 2 that JUST formed.

That’s all I have for now. ^_^

Brant [Admin] April 16, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Thanks for the report. I believe I fixed this at almost the exact time you posted the bug, so I’m hoping you were using the version before it was fixed. If you see it anymore, let me know.

• Profile photo of Dylan
    Dylan [Member] April 16, 2017 at 9:26 pm

This is my favoerite simulator you’ve released yet! Very fun and very well done! The only things I would mention are:

1) Have explanations of the Care Package on the screen when we pick the recipient. I believe the Care Packages were explained before we voted on who would get them on the show (though I could be wrong). Right now, we’re just choosing the recipient without knowing the CP power.

2) I didn’t watch OTT too closely, but if America’s nominee has the veto used on them, is there a replacement nominee? The simulator just bumps it down to the other two original nominees.

Great work!

Brant [Admin] April 16, 2017 at 9:35 pm

1. You’re absolutely right here. I’ll add an explanation right now since the audience doesn’t know what they’re voting on unless they have the care packages memorized for each week.

2. If America’s nominee has the veto used on them, there is not a replacement nominee.

• Profile photo of Kamil
    Kamil [Member] April 16, 2017 at 11:09 pm

The idea of voting charts is absolutely amazing! U totally should put that into other seasons.

• Profile photo of Liam
      Liam [Member] April 16, 2017 at 11:24 pm

I TOTALLY agree! I’m sure it would be a lot of work (maybe not, I’m not sure how all of this works :P) but it would be such a cool addition to all other seasons! please please please!

Brant [Admin] April 23, 2017 at 9:44 pm

For the voting charts, it’s difficult to put them into the simulators on BrantSteele.net.

• Brandon [Guest] May 3, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Would you consider adding them if you did simulators for upcoming BB seasons (CAN5 and BB19)?

• Chazz [Guest] April 17, 2017 at 12:47 am

During the Co-HoH week, if a nominee wins the POV, the wrong HoH renominates. For instance, in my sim Whitney nominated Shane and Kryssie nominated Scott. Scott won the POV, but Whitney named the replacement nominee.

Brant [Admin] April 17, 2017 at 1:51 am

Thanks, fixed.

• Profile photo of Addison
    Addison [Member] April 17, 2017 at 5:57 pm

I just did a text-only season and had multiple occasions where people would vote to evict someone they had an unbreakable relationship with over someone they had a like small like with. The nominations all made sense, and I didn’t have any alliances that would have caused this.

• Dean [Guest] April 20, 2017 at 12:06 pm

This happened to me also. But it could just be because I had the two people that it occurred between, both set as Masterminds, and this was F5

Brant [Admin] April 23, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Looking into this.

• Bolder22 [Guest] April 17, 2017 at 7:55 pm

I don’t know for sure this is a glitch but on every simulation I’ve done, in week 1, for the returning houseguest twist the first person is voted in every time. I’ve done a dozen or simulations and the result is always the same.

Brant [Admin] April 23, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Thanks, fixed.

Brant [Admin] April 24, 2017 at 1:35 am

Fixed an error with the HoH win count adding one extra winner and also eliminated the houseguest not selected to compete from statistics.

• Profile photo of Wormwood
    Wormwood [Member] April 18, 2017 at 12:38 pm

The saving section is inaccessible from the edit cast page. It simply displays “saving coming soon.”

Brant [Admin] April 23, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Thanks, fixed.

• Profile photo of Addison
    Addison [Member] April 18, 2017 at 3:13 pm

In the Pick-A-Veto week, if the Double Veto is chosen, I’ve had situations where both are used (one on an HoH nom, the other on America’s nom) and the HoH has renominated the person who was America’s Nominee. I’m assuming that should probably not be able to happen.

• Profile photo of Gabriel
    Gabriel [Member] April 18, 2017 at 6:59 pm

I’ve had a situation where someone won a cp twice. The DE veto AND Final 4 challenge. But then i realized later that it was because everyone in the F4 had previously got a cp before… Is this how it is supposed to work, where everyone becomes eligible for cp again? Also, although it find it interesting, i see that there are not that many straight forward votes. Like during the week when 3 votes are gone and there are 2 people and America voting. Each person ends up voting a different person forcing the HOH to decide. I feel that it would be better to add a bit more straight forward votes where it’s like 11-0 or 5-0-0 votes even if there are a lot of split votes. ( I find that in the simulator, every week when there’s 3 noms, there’s always a vote for each nominee.)

Brant [Admin] April 23, 2017 at 9:47 pm

If no one is eligible for the care package, then the simulator allows everyone to have a chance to win it again. I’m not sure if this is how the show would have worked or not since it didn’t happen.

• Profile photo of Shinx
    Shinx [Member] April 18, 2017 at 9:07 pm

I notified you of this on Twitter but I’m not sure if you saw it. The week where PoV can be chosen, I had someone end up choosing the Double PoV, but there was a bug. Morgan was vetoed first, then someone else was vetoed, then for the renom, it was another person and Morgan. But since Morgan was vetoed, she clearly shouldn’t have been the renom.

And how come Jason’s picture doesn’t change to his OTT photo if he gets chosen? It just stays as the old blue BG one made for the vote instead of the new purple BG one made for the full season. For the BB11 simulator, Jessie’s photo changes if he gets chosen.

• Profile photo of Irish
    Irish [Member] April 19, 2017 at 10:25 am

Great, although I wish alliances voted together

• Profile photo of Irish
    Irish [Member] April 20, 2017 at 9:00 am

Also when there are 2 HoH’s, the one voted by America usually does what the first one wants and does not save their own allies

Brant [Admin] April 23, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Looking into this now.

• David [Guest] April 21, 2017 at 12:43 am

Week 2’s HoH is shown eliminated in week 3 & so on, but is still in the Game.
    HELP

• David [Guest] April 21, 2017 at 12:48 am

BTW, I’m playing Via Text-Only Mode!

• David [Guest] April 21, 2017 at 12:49 am

Text-Only is buggy

Brant [Admin] April 24, 2017 at 1:17 am

It took a little while, but I figured out the issue and fixed it. It was a Display Error, and it only impacted Text-Only simulation, like you thought.

Brant [Admin] April 21, 2017 at 2:12 am

For the Text-Only bug, was the actual season impacted? Technically all edit modes run the same simulation engine. The only difference is the way the photos and text are displayed.

I’ll do the next round of bug fixes (hopefully the final one) Friday.

• Profile photo of meme
    meme [Member] April 21, 2017 at 5:47 am

I feel like there is something wrong with the Relationships system, it’s just i will see someone vote to evict someone they bonded with over someone they had a major fight with, i see that a lot and i never see unbreakable relationships form anymore.

Not sure what the problem is but i think there is something wrong wit the Relationships system.

• Profile photo of Joel
    Joel [Member] April 21, 2017 at 10:05 pm

I am having lots of fun with this setup! Thanks guys!

• Ben [Guest] April 22, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Just a bug, the outgoing HoH should not be able to win the Co-HoH care package in week 6.

Brant [Admin] April 23, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Just looked into this. On the show, the week 5 HoH winner was still eligible for Co-HoH week 6.

• David [Guest] April 23, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Hi, I’m the guy who pointed out around midnight last Friday morning that text only had a bug where: Week 2’s HoH is shown eliminated in week 3 & so on, but is still in the Game; & still playing, but person who was eliminated in week 3 is still shown as still in the game & another Person is shown Eliminated.
    BTW, I’m playing Via Text-Only Mode!
    Well while playing text only edit mode again, 1st style, I started at week 1, and at the end of week 1 it still shows who was evicted, but when I hit proceed to week 2, The Contestant who was evicted in week 1 was still shown in white, while another contestant is shown in grey instead! Doesn’t effect the rest of gameplay but as continue through the Simulator, each Week shows the same thing happening. But when I play through with the Default cast on, This doesn’t Happen. Haven’t tried Advanced Edit yet, but I think it might the same as Default. Please Help Me!!!!

Brant [Admin] April 23, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Working on it now. Thanks for the really detailed report.

Brant [Admin] April 24, 2017 at 1:17 am

• David [Guest] April 25, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Thank you!

• Profile photo of Gabriel
    Gabriel [Member] April 23, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Hey Brant, really enjoying this simulator so far! Just want to ask regarding voting charts, can you do one for Survivor too??

Brant [Admin] April 23, 2017 at 9:43 pm

The unfortunate thing is that due to different data structures, it’s not very easy to design these charts on the .net simulators. I’d like to include them on the .com Survivor simulators, but it’s not guaranteed to happen soon.

Brant [Admin] April 24, 2017 at 12:25 am

Fixed the Double Veto error where the second replacement could be the original saved nominee.

Brant [Admin] April 24, 2017 at 12:36 am

The eviction voting error was fixed. Basically, relationships weren’t being taken into account, which many people suspected and reported. Thanks to everyone for alerting me about that.

Brant [Admin] April 24, 2017 at 1:04 am

Just made the logic much smarter concerning the HoH and Co-HoH in the episode 6 veto ceremony and tiebreaker decisions.

• Porridge [Guest] April 24, 2017 at 11:07 am

On the week 3 veto care-package, one houseguest was taken off the block with the Boomerang veto, but then was renamed as the replacement nominee for the second veto. Wouldn’t they be immune and not able to be put back up for eviction? The houseguest was subsequently evicted too…

Brant [Admin] April 26, 2017 at 12:46 am

Thanks, fixed. Also further improved a similar previously corrected error with Double Veto.

• Profile photo of Wormwood
    Wormwood [Member] April 25, 2017 at 4:33 pm

In the week summary, it lists week 3’s care package under weeks 3 and 4, and shifts the other packages forward one week.

Brant [Admin] April 26, 2017 at 12:42 am

Thanks, fixed.

• Porridge [Guest] April 29, 2017 at 1:20 pm

This isnt a big deal or anything, but on the week where there’s a Co-Hoh, if there’s a tie with the votes making the HOH evict one of the nominees, it doesn’t show in the voting chart at the end. Just to let you know 🙂

Loving this simulator!

• Unfortunately, there will not be a prediction game this season. Additional updates will be posted in the middle of the week.
  • Maintenance completed to both servers. Please report any errors or performance changes you notice.
  • Maintenance done on the .net server, switching to the .com server now.