Mar

Plans for March & Beyond

Author Brant    Category All, Updates     Tags

As mentioned on Twitter, all of the challenges in The Duel simulator were completed last week. The simulator is currently undergoing final testing and will be sent to some volunteers for additional testing before it’s finalized and published. The final version is expected to be released this upcoming week. Because of the extensive time it took to complete this season, no additional seasons of The Challenge are expected in 2017. This will only change if a volunteer is found who is willing to thoroughly plan the seasons or if users agree that the rest of the seasons should be released without full challenges, which would reduce the programming time per season to about a week.

Now, the focus shifts to programming a simulator for Big Brother: Over The Top. This will be similar to the other Big Brother seasons and allow users to make the same audience decisions as they could in the show. The goal is to complete this simulator in about a week. A Big Brother Canada 5 simulator is planned for around the time the season finishes, and the March cast photo update will be posted after the BBCAN5 cast is officially revealed.

For future plans, the remaining Total Drama seasons are now in development and will be gradually completed over the upcoming months. Total Drama Action and Total Drama World Tour are both in the planning stage and will be released as soon as they are completed. This could be as early as this month but is not a guarantee. Updates on the status of these seasons will be regularly posted.

Survivor will have an Advanced Template similar to the Big Brother Future Template (which has been again renamed the Big Brother Advanced Template). This will replace the previously announced Merge Template and include greater customization. In addition, the new algorithm for Millennials vs. Gen X will continue to be improved and incorporated into the Advanced Template and eventually all existing seasons of Survivor. There will be a Survivor survey posted this upcoming week to see your opinions on the new changes in season 33 and what you want to see in the Advanced Template before it’s released.

There may be other surprises coming this month as well. Stay tuned.

48 Comments to “Plans for March & Beyond”

• Profile photo of Tim
    Tim [Member] March 4, 2017 at 1:35 am

hopefully the ability to add custom characters will be back soon

Brant [Admin] March 4, 2017 at 2:37 am

I was going to make a post about this and still probably will, but right now, the server just can’t support this.

Just with the Blog and Prediction Game on the BrantSteele.com server, and a few simulators, there was downtime a few days ago due to lack of memory. To do the required memory update needed to support character saving, I’d need about $40 per month raised or $500 per year. It’s unfortunate, but this is also the reason why a more sophisticated Prediction Game isn’t coming for Survivor 34. The current account system is too memory heavy, and with any new traffic from simulators, it will cause frequent crashes.

I have all the code to add it, but I don’t want to implement it until we have the funds and equipment to maintain it at least a year in advance.

• Profile photo of jill Richards
    jill Richards [Member] March 4, 2017 at 7:22 am

I can’t wait for whatever you guys do this month

• Profile photo of Rebby
    Rebby [Member] March 4, 2017 at 1:30 pm

Do you have any idea of when we can expect Survivor 33 to be finished and the rest of the seasons to be converted? I understand it takes a lot of time and effort and you can’t plan for every little problem, but you had mentioned it being planned to be released awhile ago and now it sounds like it is on the backseat again.

No issues on the amount of work you guys put in. We can clearly see it when the results come out, because the new simulators are awesome. But there IS a pattern here with you telling us one thing and then not delivering. I can’t speak for everyone but it certainly hypes me up and and then bums me out, to a point I’m not sure when to be excited.

Brant [Admin] March 4, 2017 at 1:57 pm

As far as finishing Survivor 33, my main goal is to release the final version of Survivor 33 before the finale of Survivor 34 (Game Changers) in May. Just because it’s my goal doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed, but I would be satisfied if I can stick to that schedule. It only takes about 1-3 days to add a new season once the core Survivor algorithm is done, so I have the full intention of releasing Game Changers within 24 hours of the season finale.

I feel like Survivor 33 could be finalized and released now, but I’d rather use this season to get the new .com Survivor system perfected for S34, the Advanced Template, and all of the existing seasons. Survivor 33 should already be the most advanced Survivor season, but there has been a lot of feedback that I want to sort through and provide options for users who prefer certain setups.

• Profile photo of Rebby
        Rebby [Member] March 4, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I appreciate the response. While nothing is ever perfect, I can say that I am thoroughly impressed and satisfied with the current S33. I can tell a lot of work went into it and I’m grateful.

I’m looking forward to playing the other seasons on that set-up.

• Profile photo of Stephen
    Stephen [Member] March 4, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Survivor news has me more hyped than anything else.

Keep up the good work dudes.

• Profile photo of Devin
    Devin [Member] March 4, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Are we going to be able to play survivor in an interactive version?

Brant [Admin] March 4, 2017 at 7:32 pm

The goal is to at least match the features of the Big Brother equivalent Advanced/Future Template, which includes interactive.

• Profile photo of Griffen
        Griffen [Member] March 6, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Would there be an option to see who the alliance’s target if you are in one?

• Profile photo of Izumi
    Izumi [Member] March 4, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Whats the merge/advanced Survivor template? I’ve heard of it being mentioned here, but I’ve never actually seen what it is. Is it an interactive Survivor (which would be amazing) or what?

Also this is just something that I think would be nice to see, but I don’t know how easy it would be to implement. If a tribe on Survivor wins immunity and have a numerical advantage, they get to sit someone out (which could be mentioned before it says ‘ wins immunity’). This would be very interesting and add for some strategy.

(e.g:

Takali sits out Sunday

Takali wins immunity)

For example if Vanua loses the first immunity, Takali gets to sit someone out. They choose Sunday to sit out, and Takali wins again. Then the 3rd immunity challenge, Takali sits out Sunday + CeCe. Instead of voting out Sunday/CeCe, it would be interesting to see if they would consider that they can sit someone out, because they could just sit out.

The more I type it out, the harder it sounds to implement, but I still think it would add another element of strategy to the template.

• Profile photo of Izumi
      Izumi [Member] March 4, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Oh and also, I think it would be nice to see in Palau/Gabon or other seasons with schoolyard picks, to see what order they pick in. Not a major thing, but just think it would be nice to see.

Brant [Admin] March 4, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Users should be able to pick the number of tribes, how many are in each tribe, how many/what kind of idols, when different swaps occur and (some) twists. That’s the premise.

I think interactive simulation could be improved from Big Brother, and I want to survey users about a few ways it could be structured in an upcoming Survivor survey.

Sitting out could be done. Really, the function just needs made once, and then it could be incorporated into many different seasons. One of my goal is to put more details for events like schoolyard picks. Someone has been helping gather notes for Survivor, and now it’s my job to program all of the notes correctly.

• Profile photo of Brandon
        Brandon [Member] March 5, 2017 at 2:40 am

For the Survivor Template Simulator, you do mean we will also be able to change when merge happens and when jury begins, right?

Brant [Admin] March 5, 2017 at 9:09 pm

• Profile photo of justyn morin
    justyn morin [Member] March 4, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Can you update the circle because every game i played everybody dies

Brant [Admin] March 5, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Do you want any updates, or would you just want to see a clear winner more often? The percentage could be adjusted if it’s a major problem.

• Profile photo of Shane
    Shane [Member] March 4, 2017 at 11:56 pm

I’m most looking forward to the Millennials vs. Gen X simulator being updated these next few weeks! The Prediction Game certainly doesn’t hurt either.

• RRR [Guest] March 5, 2017 at 12:05 am

Was there/is there going to be, a poll to see if we want challenge simulators without detailed challenges? Cause I would 100% be interested in it, and would assume a chunk of others would too, since at least the most bare bones version is something.

And can i ask for a more detailed explanation of thoroughly plan out the challenge seasons? Like plan out in a coding sense or in a making notes of the format of each season and which challenges go where?

Sorry im on a challenge binge right now so im pretty stoked at even a possibility of more simulators.

Thank you guys for everything you do, I know we all appreciate it!

Brant [Admin] March 5, 2017 at 9:15 pm

There can be a poll; sure. I think the more polls to collect information, the better. I don’t want to spend months going in a direction that most of the users don’t approve.

As far as thoroughly planning out the challenges, I’m interested in more than just a description that’s displayed on the page. I want to see how teams are chosen and every possible scenario as far as scoring points, being timed, being disqualified, etc. Basically I want to see enough that I don’t have to watch the episode multiple times to pick out all of the minor intricacies.

With The Duel, most of the challenges were actually more complex and took more time to make than season itself. I made the comment before, but I feel like I could have taken over 20 of these challenges and released them as simple simulators that would stand by themselves. Instead of spending all of the time on drawn out challenges, I’d prefer to just release more simulators and think users would as well. I can definitely take a survey this week to find out more.

• Profile photo of Tyler
    Tyler [Member] March 5, 2017 at 12:08 am

I’m looking forward to seeing how you’ll handle Total Drama Action and World Tour, considering they randomly add new contestants mid-season, and World Tour has a quitter.

Will there eventually be an option to change relationships and alliances after each episode in Total Drama?

• Profile photo of jill Richards
      jill Richards [Member] March 5, 2017 at 8:53 am

Thanks for typing my comment for me

Brant [Admin] March 5, 2017 at 9:09 pm

I’m not sure exactly how those Total Drama islands will work yet, but it’ll be discussed and determined soon. Right now, there are basic outlines and challenge descriptions done for around 11 episodes for each of the two seasons.

Changing relationships and alliances each episode/week may just be exclusive for Big Brother and Survivor. That’s undecided. It’s the biggest cause of glitches in the .net simulators, and a new system has been designed for it in Survivor 33 that Big Brother: Over The Top will use, but it needs to be tested first to see if it runs smoother than the older system.

• Profile photo of Sebas Grande
    Sebas Grande [Member] March 5, 2017 at 10:56 am

I would like an interactive version for survivor and an interactive version improved for big brother, being able to add all the twist we want, that would be the best, since in 90% I play the interactive version of big brother (sorry for my english)

• Profile photo of Ben
    Ben [Member] March 5, 2017 at 1:21 pm

YESS!!! I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE INTERACTIVE SURVIVOR TEMPLATE!!!

• Profile photo of Ben
    Ben [Member] March 5, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I have wanted an interactive survivor template for so long 😀 The reason I come here on this site so often is to play the big brother “advanced” interactive template. And I’m so glad we’re getting an OTT simulator too with all the audience decisions.

• Profile photo of Simon
    Simon [Member] March 5, 2017 at 7:33 pm

D’you reckon there will ever be a call for more volunteers? Asking for a friend….

Brant [Admin] March 5, 2017 at 9:04 pm

If your friend is interesting in volunteering, I’m interested as early as now. The issue right now is that I’m struggling to figure out time and ways to test different volunteers, but there are quite a few people with interest.

• Profile photo of Devin
    Devin [Member] March 5, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Another question: in interactive survivor, will we be able to see alliance targets so that you’re not always voting in the minority?

Brant [Admin] March 5, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I think it’s critical for something like this to occur in order to make sense.

• Cory [Guest] March 5, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Any update on Australian Survivor? Even if it’s a Cambodia-style release (rather than a 33-style one), it would be awesome. Even just so that we have a template with 24 people in three tribes.

I do wish we had the ability for seasons like 33 to pick between the old template and the new one. I may be in the minority but I am almost completely satisfied with how some of throes seasons work and find the new one to be imperfect in both its display and mechanics. Obviously you guys are doing an awesome job — just my personal preference I guess.

Brant [Admin] March 5, 2017 at 9:17 pm

I’ve been thinking about Australian Survivor. I can probably make the season and attach it to either the old template or the new one in a few days. It was initially going to be released right after BB:OTT, but that’s something I can ask about on the Survivor survey.

• Cory [Guest] March 5, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Just wanted to add/reiterate how awesome you are. Let me know when the donation stuff is back up and running: you really deserve it.

• Profile photo of Hikari
    Hikari [Member] March 5, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Can we still give any suggestions or ideas for the Survivor template?

Brant [Admin] March 5, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Yes. Either now or during the survey.

• Profile photo of Hikari
        Hikari [Member] March 5, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Okay. Here is my idea about idol trickery.
        In the show on episode 13 Adam convinced Jay to use his idol for the tribal council; he used his idol, but only got one vote while Sunday was eliminated.

My suggestion for the simulator is someone to trick/convince a person that has the idol to waste it on themselves or on someone else. Or for the alliances, they can purposely target the person with the idol to force him/her to use it.

• Profile photo of Hikari
        Hikari [Member] March 5, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Okay. Here is my idea about idol trickery.
        On episode 13 in the show, Adam convinced Jay to use his idol for the tribal council; he used his idol, but only got one vote while Sunday was eliminated.

• Profile photo of Joel
    Joel [Member] March 6, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Something I would like to see added to the season 33 simulator is the tribes below their names, just like in the old template, because sometimes when I do random ones I forget what their original tribe is.

Brant [Admin] March 10, 2017 at 11:13 am

That will be added too. Thanks!

• Profile photo of Albert
    Albert [Member] March 6, 2017 at 1:05 pm

I am looking forward to seeing the Advanced template for Survivor. It appears that the Survivor 33 simulator is almost fully complete. Since the templates in Big Brother are excellent in my opinion, I would expect the same for Survivor 33 (after some time, of course). Keep up the good work!

• JayBird [Guest] March 6, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Will you be adding the season 33 cast photos?

Brant [Admin] March 10, 2017 at 11:13 am

That’ll be looked into really soon.

• Profile photo of Patrick
    Patrick [Member] March 7, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Would you be willing to make a more standard version of the 33 simulator, the way the survivor simulators currently are are so much better, seeing peoples “Targets” doesnt change much and kind of makes it less fun and feels like you justh ave to click through it

• Profile photo of Wormwood
    Wormwood [Member] March 8, 2017 at 9:52 am

Would you be able to add the ability to “shuffle” the tribes in survivor 33, just like the survivor simulators on the .net server?

Brant [Admin] March 10, 2017 at 11:12 am

Thanks for the reminder. It can be added soon.

• Profile photo of Megan
    Megan [Member] March 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm

If you could create more The Challenge simulators then it would be fine with me if you don’t add the challenges into the simulators. So I would agree to that if you just create the different seasons of The Challenge but dont add the challenges to it.

• Laur [Guest] March 8, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Will hunger games simulator get allies, enemies and attributes?

Brant [Admin] March 10, 2017 at 11:12 am

If enough people want it. I took a survey, and a few other features and simulators received more votes. However, if there is enough demand for allies, enemies, and attributes in the Hunger Games simulator, it can be done.

• Unfortunately, there will not be a prediction game this season. Additional updates will be posted in the middle of the week.
  • Maintenance completed to both servers. Please report any errors or performance changes you notice.
  • Maintenance done on the .net server, switching to the .com server now.